The Capitol Arts Center has entered the next chapter in its long history of providing a place for south central Kentucky residents to enjoy the arts. Listed in the National Register as a contributing site in the Downtown Bowling Green Commercial District the Capitol is owned by Warren County, and now operates under the management of the Southern Kentucky Performing Arts Center. The Capitol hosts touring performances, concerts, weddings, receptions, and a variety of community events. For information on renting the facility for your next event call 270-904-5017.
The Capitol Arts Center has been an important part of the cultural fabric of Bowling Green for over 100 years. Begun as a vaudeville house in the late 1890’s, then was renamed the Columbia Theatre and finally was redesigned as a movie house in the mid-1930’s renamed the Capitol Theatre which presented movies for more than three decades before closing in 1967.
After remaining vacant for more than 10 years, the building was purchased in 1977 by a visionary group of citizens formerly known as the Bowling Green-Warren County Arts Commission. Following a $1.3 million renovation, the Capitol Arts Center opened its doors to the community in September 1981 and was managed by the Capitol Arts Alliance for 30 years.
Complimentary Parking is provided by John and Carolyn Ridley during evening events at the Capitol Arts Center. The parking lot is located behind The Pushins Building and the Capitol Arts Center building and can be accessed off of College Street. There are 59 spaces provided and limited to a first come basis.